Friday, September 5, 2008

Living on Hurricane Alley ~

AND here comes another Hurricane .... Yikes ~ it's Ike!!

I'd better start getting everything ready for a possible evacuation. I wasn't prepared for Tropical Storm Fay ~ remember we ordered Dominos when we lost our electricity. Well, we had food that we could eat ~ but we just wanted something hot and delicious!! Pizza sounded so much better than Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches.


Several years ago in 2004 ~ we evacuated for one of the Hurricanes that was threatening our Coast. I think it was Frances ~ of course that year we had several Hurricanes make landfall on our coast.




Hurricane Frances ~ Thankfully this one downgraded to a Cat 1 right at landfall.



Hurricane Ivan ~ took the long way around but still ended up on our "doorstep".




Hurricane Jeanne ~ She really faked us out when she did a loopy loop in the middle of the Atlantic. We thought we were saved then she intensified and slammed into the Coast as a Cat 3.


All three of these Hurricanes pictured above were in 2004. As we were packing to evacuate in 2004, I was just running around in circles ~ throwing random things in suitcases and boxes. When I think back to that stressful time ~ it reminds me of the scene from "Gone with the Wind". You know the one where Prissy is packing the China. Well, here's a short clip of that scene that I found on You Tube. I really L♥VE You Tube and can or actually do spend hours on there watching various Videos. Anyway, this Video is only about 30 seconds long......



So, I'm trying to work on our Plan and not wait until the last second to pack. Especially, since they're not EXACTLY sure where Yikes ~ Ike!! is going.


My Mother gave me this Fabulous Suze Orman Ultimate Protection Portfolio several years ago. I've had it just sitting by our back door ~ so that I can grab it if we ever have to flee our home. It actually matches our blue and white Kitchen decor. It's actually a much deeper blue than pictured above ~ think cobalt blue.

Sad to say ~ it's sitting there EMPTY!! So, today I'm working on our Emergency Plan, as well as filling my pretty blue "Portfolio" with important documents. Hop over here ~ if you'd like to read more about the Suze Orman Ultimate Protection Portfolio. It's not just for Hurricane evacuations, but any of life's little or catastrophic emergencies.

Of course, my thoughts and prayers are with the victims of Hurricane Gustav ~ as well as with everyone who is in the path of Hurricanes Hannah, Ike and Josephine.

No comments: